Nothing says “aging” like wrinkles. You may dread the appearance of creases, lines and folds on your face, but you must admit — just like graying hair — they’re a natural part of aging. Even though they’re all natural, no one says you can’t go through the life cycle a little more gracefully.
In fact, Americans spend about $43 billion a year trying to ease the transition into maturity. New Yorkers are no different. They buy over-the-counter creams, dermal filler injections, spa treatments and enhancements in an effort to reduce the number and severity of their facial wrinkles. Many treatments show positive results.
Genetics play a small role in how many, when and how deep your wrinkles appear. But a more important influence is your lifestyle. Sun damage from ultraviolet rays, tanning booths, smoking, stress and environmental pollutants take the biggest toll on your face and lead to exaggerated wrinkles — sometimes earlier than you’d like.
Fair-skin folks also tend to develop more obvious wrinkles than those with darker complexions. And they don’t call them “laugh lines” for nothing. Facial expressions that you make all the time eventually add up, causing deeper furrows than if you didn’t make those expressions. In addition to smiling and laughing, other expressions that cause wrinkles include:
- Frowning, which causes those deep furrows between your eyes
- Squinting squishes up all the grooves in your face
- Raising your eyebrows causes forehead wrinkles
- Pursing your lips leads to lines around your mouth
As you age, your skin rejuvenation slows down considerably. While your skin used to bounce back to its original shape after a long night of exaggerated expressions, now it tends to hang looser longer and is much more fragile. Oil production slows down so your skin is drier. And the fat and collagen that lies deep under your skin diminishes, leaving your face saggy and thin, with more pronounced lines.
When to Begin Wrinkle Removal
You actually decrease production of collagen after about the age of 25. By the time you turn 30, your stores of collagen start dropping off, so that by the age of 40, you’ve lost about 20 percent. By 50, you’re down another 20 percent and the decline continues. So, while you can’t really remove wrinkles — a wrinkle is actually the absence of skin cells — you can reduce their severity and certainly prevent more from popping up prematurely.
Non-prescription ointments that contain retinol can have a very slight effect on wrinkles under eyes and over eyebrows. It’s prevention that provides you the best way to augment whatever spa treatments you choose. The most important steps you can take to keep the tiny lines and big creases at bay include:
- Use sunscreen protection every day. That means on cloudy days, winter days and every day in between. Use a lotion that has a sunscreen protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Don’t smoke or quit if you do. Smoking reduces the amount of blood circulating to your face and accelerates your aging process.
- Use moisturizers with broad-spectrum sunscreen in them. That means that the SPF is good for both UVA and UVB rays.
- Moisturize day and night. Keep your cells plumped up and hydrated with products that won’t clog your pores. Talk to your aesthetic specialists at Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness for some suggestions and try a few of the proven products they suggest.
- Add more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet to take advantage of the natural healing properties they have. Foods like broccoli, cherries, oranges and spinach fight off free radicals that like to party on your face. Oily foods with natural omega-3 fatty acids like salmon and olive oil are high in antioxidants to keep your skin looking fresh.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water every day. Your skin thrives on the fluids you add to your body and relies on that fluid to keep your skin plumped up naturally.
How to Get Rid of Wrinkles
Instead of wearing your age on your face like a banner of survival, improve your self-confidence by exploring your options. Once you’ve taken all the precautions you can to prevent more wrinkles, consider visiting an aesthetic specialist with a doctorate in nursing who is also a holistic healer right in Manhattan: Dr. Natalya Fazylova.
Dr. Fazylova and her team at Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness in New York City understand your desire to maintain a natural glow while reducing the pace of aging, especially on your face. Some of the more popular procedures you can try for wrinkle removal include:
- Microneedling. This is one of the most natural, safe and effective procedures you can get to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The amazing process can reduce pore size, lessen the darkness of scars, and help even out your skin when hyperpigmentation occurs.
- Derma fillers. Restylane and Juvaderm are two of the injectable options available through your Midtown aesthetician. Made from a natural substance, injectables pump up creases and lines, adding volume to sagging features. Derma fillers are ideal for smokers’ lines around your mouth, folds around your nose and wrinkles under eyes.
- Peels. Glycolic and salicylic acid peels are particularly effective for reducing the appearance of really fine wrinkles around your eyes and mouth. Choose from a variety of natural and botanical materials to peel away the top layer of skin to reveal new, fresher, younger-looking skin below.
- Laser skin rejuvenation. With advanced laser technology, your skin can be tightened to clearly eliminate or greatly reduce the effects of wrinkles on your face. You can see results in less than an hour with little or no downtime when you rely on the experts at Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness.
Be Your Best
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to fighting off the signs of aging. You are unique and your treatment and skin solutions should be custom-tailored to your specific needs and goals. Schedule a free consultation to learn all the options available at Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness.
You can’t ignore or change your true age, but as you age, do so at your pace, to fit in with your idea of yourself and your beauty. As you move gracefully into maturity, your face can reflect that peace and acceptance you’ve had a lifetime to perfect. All you need is just a little help.
Dr. Fazylova and Staff at Radiance Aesthetic & Wellness strive to provide a holistic and individualized care to help you on your journey to a better health and vibrant appearance.
Do you have questions about wrinkle removal? To receive more information and to learn about removal of wrinkles, please contact Radiance Aesthetic & Wellness. If you would like to schedule an appointment with the best rated skin rejuvenation specialist in NYC, Dr. Natalya Fazylova, please contact our office.
Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness
NYC Holistic Health & Wellness Specialist
903 Lexington Avenue, Suite 1A
New York, New York 10065